Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Spade Grip Kit and GAT Trigger System

Via mpopenker

AR15/M16 Spade Grip Kit  - KNSARSG

$449.95

===============================

If you're like me, you're skeptical when claims are made about turning your semi-automatic AR-15 into a BATF legal full-auto M-16 for only $39.95. A poor man's dream? Sound too good to be true? We have all seen ads for these trigger devices that simulate full auto fire, Hellfire, Tac Trigger and Tri-Burst, to name a few. All these devices make big claims, but I have rarely heard an actual user who is satisfied with these trigger devices performance. I myself bought one of these trigger systems several years ago and after hearing poor user reviews on the AR-15 digest and reading the operating instructions with the device, decided it was more hassle than it was worth to even attempt to use that trigger system. Most of these systems rely on a spring lever mounted behind the trigger to get the rifle rocking back and forth to achieve the full auto affect from the operator's side, which is a tough balancing act to perform. Any attempt at any form of aimed fire from the shoulder is out of the question.

After all this, I was intrigued a short time ago when a fellow AR-15 lister posted favorable results with a new system I had never heard of before, the GAT Trigger System. I did a quick Web search and came up with the following two web sites selling this new GAT Trigger:

I decided to order from Flashdistributor, 970-249-0302 $39.95 + $3 shipping, as it is located closer to my home and I figured the shipping time would be shorter. Three days later the unit arrived at my house and I eagerly opened the package to get this installed on my Ar-15. The GAT seems to be well designed and thought out and has Germany stamped on its side. The GAT Trigger System attaches in front of the rifle trigger and has a lever with a thimble shaped cup on its end. As you rotate this lever a activator bar pushes against the trigger to fire the weapon. One full rotation of the lever will cause the trigger to fire 4 times and it can be fired from the shoulder in a normal shooting position.

For installation, all safety rules apply, check to see the rifle is safe and UNLOADED. Double check this again, then pull back the charging handle to cock the trigger. A side cover needs to be removed to attach the GAT to the rifle. Both a long and short activator are provided to fit to different rifles such as SKS, AK, and 10/22. The instructions say the short activator is used on most rifles, so that is the one I used. This activator slides in the unit and some care must be taken not to lose or drop it as you attach the system to your rifle as it can fall out. Two screws under the unit are tightened to the trigger guard when you determine (trial and error) the correct operating distance to the rifle's trigger. I wasn't reading the instructions too closely and over tightened these screws and the unit cracked and fell off my Pre-ban Colt. "Dang!" (Not the actual word uttered) I re read the instructions and it states to only hand tighten these bottom screws then reinstall the side plate for its added strength and support. In my defense, the screws are real tight and can't be hand tightened, only tightened with the enclosed allen wrench.

I called Flashdistributor and said I cracked the GAT unit. The guy on the phone told me he needs to make the instructions clearer on putting the side plate on first before final tightening of the bottom screws and said he'd get another GAT trigger in the mail to me that day. It was more my fault for the break than the instructions so it was nice of him to send me a replacement at no cost. Three days later the new unit arrived. This time I reinstalled the side plate before final tightening of the bottom screws as instructed, with no problems this time with installation.

More @ AR 15

No comments:

Post a Comment